Running an active outdoor business right now feels like a game of Whack-a-Mole.
- There’s too much retail- right size yours. Whack!
- Create product that can be meaningfully differentiated from competitors. Whack!
- Careful on that distribution. Whack!
- Manage your inventory and expenses cautiously. Whack!
- Figure out e-commerce without cannibalizing brick and mortar. Whack!
- Lower growth economy. Whack!
- Find and keep enough quality employees. Whack!
- Most children living with their parents since 1940 (World War II fixed that). Whack!
- Slow to non-existent wage growth among our customers. What will they/can they buy? Whack!
- Close to 10 million American men not in the work force and not trying to get in it. What do we sell them? Whack!
Whack! Whack! Whack! Whack!
I hope to get your attention by saying that these things are pretty much tactical- or in some cases issues you just can’t influence. What in the hell would I consider strategic then?